Thursday, August 28, 2008

A not so welcome back to Nebraska

When we arrived home, in Nebraska, on Sunday I noticed a strong smell in our house. Not a food smell, but a moldy smell. I immediately went downstairs and found that our basement had flooded and their was black mold everywhere. So for the next few days we kept the basement door shut with a towel pushed underneath it. We also started looking for a new place to live. Within a few days we located a new place and moved in by the following day. Dan was a amazing. He moved everything up from the basement, while I disinfected everything with bleach. Especially all of Hollyn's toys that we could save since they were all downstairs. We must have looked pretty silly. We both had things covering our mouth and rubber gloves protecting our hands. Dan pretty much single handily moved us all by himself with little help from me. I felt pretty helpless being 8 months pregnant and not being able to move anything heavy. We found a cute three bedroom house that is only three years old and doesn't have a smelly basement. We love it! Hollyn has a little playroom now that she will spend hours in. We are a little farther from campus and we had to move out of our old ward, which was a real bummer, but the place is perfect for our family. We are definitely staying here for the next two years. I already told Dan the next time we move again it will be permanent.(At least for 5 years)
I will post pictures of the new place soon. Here's a few pictures of the moldy basement and one of Dan after a long day of moving. Too bad I can't add the smell too. Not the smell of Dan but the smell of the basement.



7 comments:

once upon a poppy said...

that's a nice welcome home. i'm so glad you found a new place though.

Caryn said...

Oh that is horrible! Black mold scares the crap out of me! Glad you found somewhere so fast!

Megan said...

Dan is awesome. I hope he bought a huge slurpee to reward all his hard work-and you too! Any work at 8 months pregnant is commendable!

Anonymous said...

What the freak, that is no fun. So I seriously didn't know until I was reading your blog that any of that happened, and I yelled to jeremy, "did you know... and he was like ya I totally knew that." Obviously jeremy tells me nothing. anyway I'm glad you are settled now, hopefully you can truely relax before the baby comes. And Someday I might update my blog.

aryn said...

What a rude welcoming home. Nothing worse then a flooded basement- just ask Melissa! Glad you guys found a nice place so fast.

The Hall's said...

I'm so sorry about your basement and the chaos that came with it. However, it sounds like the new place will be wonderful! Hopefully you'll like the new ward too. Go rest....you deserve it!

Amy said...

Okay, what a nightmare! I can't believe that's what you found when you got home and had to full on move out. I'm glad it worked out in the end. And I'm glad you met my friend Anna. She's soooo dang funny and I bet you guys will get along well.