Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Fun

This year we hosted Thanksgiving at our house. We had our friends the Koberleins and the Birds over for the best Thanksgiving ever. The food was amazing. Everyone brought delicious sides and the turkey, well it was the best turkey I have ever tasted. It was crispy on the outside and tender and juicey on the inside. The meat was literally falling off of the bones. I think that I have finally figured out how to cook a turkey. The secret is the first brine the turkey and then to cook it in a pan without the bag with lots of juices. I think our turkey, a 22 pounder, may have had way to much juice. We had a minor little grease fire in our oven for a few seconds that set off our fire alarm and covered our kitchen in smoke. After cleaning out the oven and opening all of the windows and doors, we solved the problem and were able to finish cooking the turkey and dressing. So, we are definitely thankful that we didn't have to call the fire department on Thanksgiving.




Hollyn was so excited to have all the kids over to play. She and Makayla barely came out of the play room to eat. The kids had a great time playing and running around the big grass field behind our house. I know I have been talking about all of our last things here in Lincoln, but I am sad this will be our last Thanksgiving. It will be great to spend the time with family next year, but it has been fun learning to cook a turkey and all of the fixings and spend time with amazing friends. The weather was also fantastic, no snow!
I wanted to do my top ten things I'm grateful for, in no particular order:
1. My family. (My two healthy, fun, beautiful girls, and my handsome hard working husband who has been able to juggle law school and a family)
2. Our law school experience. It has had it's ups and downs, but overall it has been an amazing experience and we have become better people because of it.
3. The gospel. Where would I be without the gospel? Everything I have in my life is because my faith and beliefs in the gospel.
4. Lincoln, Nebraska. You will always hold a special place in my heart.
5. Friends new and old you know who you are. Thanks for your love and friendship. I have the best friends a girl could ask for.
6. The gym. I know it may seem silly, but I love exercising. It keeps me balanced and happy.
7. Extended family. Parents, grandparents, brothers, brother and sister-in laws, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles. We miss living so close to family.
8. A home with a garage. When you live in a freezing cold place like Nebraska an AZ girl can't survive without one. Okay maybe just not this whimpy AZ girl.
9. My education. I have not only been able to teach school, but I have also been able to enrich my children with my education degree.
10. Modern technology. I love being able to keep in touch with family through emails, blogging, etc. and to keep memories through digital cameras and video recorders.








I was also able to get all of my Christmas shopping at the black Friday sales, and I was finished before 6:30am. I'm just glad there is only one black Friday a year.

1 comments:

Traci said...

You're turkey looks delish! By the way- that house I told you about is already sold. Dang it!