Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Farewell Nebraska

So it's finally here, our last week in Nebraska and to be honest I'm really not sure how to feel. I'm not saying I would ever want to do this journey they call law school again, but I will say that this experience has changed me for the better. Not only has it changed us individually, but it has also changed us as a family. We have become closer and truly found our own family identity. I will have to say in the beginning when we first moved here, I was not really excited to leave our home, family and friends, and move to a place that I had never been before, didn't know anything about, and didn't know a single soul. Meeting new people, putting myself out there is not the easiest thing for me, it's actually quite terrifying and luckily our first Sunday at church a family invited us over to their home for dinner. They had a daughter Hollyn's age and they became instant friends. I will forever be grateful to the Anderson's for inviting us over that day. We had friends, people who were in the same situation that we were. And although the first year of law school is really hell, sorry there's no better word for it, Hollyn and I had people to spend the time with. We found so many fun things that first year.
1. The outdoor mall has an outdoor concert in the summer. You bring your lawn chairs and listen to all kinds of music every Friday night.
2. The farmer's market in downtown Lincoln.
3. The Apple Jack Festival in Nebraska City. With a parade, apple picking and all.
4. The greatest pumpkin patches I've ever seen. Although Rocka Berry Farm was fun, you can't beat Vallas, it's like an amusement mark.
5. Trick or Treating at the Children's Museum.
6. The tree lighting at the mall. They light up this huge Christmas tree and then Santa comes to visit.
7. Great parks with the greenest grass you will ever find.
8. Great running trails.
9. The most fantastic grocery store ever, Hyvee.
10. My favorite gym with the most fabulous child watch, the YMCA.
11. The majestic and oh so beautiful Rose Garden and Sunken Garden.
12. Dimensions Preschool
13. The arboretum at east campus that we had many a pictures taken.
I'm sure there are more but these are some of our favorites.
The summer of our first year was almost as difficult as the first year itself. We had two funerals to attend. First my 19 year old brother, which was by far the most difficult day of my life and then Dan's Pomp, who was an amazing man. When we got back to Nebraska we came home to a moldy, flooded basement. I remember walking through the door and instantly smelling mildew and it wasn't just my pregnant nose. So we packed up and moved out of our infested black mold house in two days, 8 months pregnant and all. The picture says it all. Dan single handily moved us, while I was only able to help with the packing.
It may sound silly, but Heavenly Father blessed us with mold. We moved to a completely different ward and a completely different neighborhood. Leaving all the friends we had just met the previous year. Although it is always difficult for me to move and leave my comfort zone, it was one of the best decision we made here in Nebraska. Hollyn went to church that first Sunday and there were five other girls her age in her primary class. They were instantly all friends and she was invited to playgroups every week. I put myself out there and met some really great people. One in particular that will be really hard to leave. She made Nebraska for me. She was someone you meet and you instantly feel a connection to, you immediately become friends. I learned a lot from her, she has made me a better person and I hope I have done the same for her.
The most important thing I learned in this ward was service. When there was a crisis the members were there to help out. I saw ladies going over to another families house and cleaning their home before they got back from burring their 8 year old son. I saw members giving families dinners for months until they could get back on their feet. They didn't even need to pass around a sign up sheet for more than one Sunday, because it would instantly be filled. Surgeries, new babies, you didn't even need to ask, because the members knew and were there to help. It is true what everyone says, Nebraska has the nicest people around. Our doctors office is just one example of this. Where else do all the nurses, the front desk ladies, and doctor tell you they are going to miss you and to make sure you stop by and say goodbye before you leave. Where else do the ladies in the child watch at the gym really look forward to your kids coming and hanging out while you workout.
Well Nebraska it's been a fun ride, and you will be missed. We will never forget the things we learned, the people we met, the change we encountered, and the Law Degree we are leaving with. Farewell Nebraska, hello Arizona.

We had a last playdate with all of Hollyn's friends from the ward at the park before we moved. It was sad to leave all of these cute girls. We were just missing Emily and Lincoln and Isaac.



Hollyn's preschool class threw her a party on her last day. They decorated the room, had party hats and blew bubbles. We loved Dimensions and especially Holyn's fantastic teacher Mrs. Kierwa.

6 comments:

The Hall's said...

Geri...you made me cry! I totally understand! You learn and grow so much from these kinds of experiences. It is so hard to move away from family, but such a blessing at the same time. Your own family grows and you learn how to love and serve in your "ward family". Lessons to hold on to for forever.

Congratulations to you and Dan! Best of luck as you head back to AZ!

Anna and Jon said...

Um, okay, a little lame, but I did cry and I just want everyone to know, since Geri didn't want to put my name in there, that yes, it was me that "made Nebraska" for her. Anna. That's right. And she has done the same for me. Seriously, going to Costco was like the time of my life. Except that now she has moved and I'm so bored. It's been all of 48 hours since my Geri fix.

Anna and Jon said...

Oh, and I love that picture of Dan. I can just hear him, "Geri, really?"

Amy said...

Yes, aren't life transitions crazy, full of mixed emotions?? It sounds like you had a great experience in NE. I think you did a really nice recap.

We'll only be in Mesa till we find a house to move into in Tucson, but we ought to get together. I'll see if I can compete with Anna. After all, I've known you WAY longer..... :)

Anna and Jon said...

Amy, don't make me come there and put you in your place. Maybe, if you wear your tube top....?

Becky said...

We will forever miss you. Can't wait until we see you guys again. All our love.