Tuesday, December 9, 2008

An eventful 24 hours

The past 24 hours have been quite eventful. It all started last night at 10:30 when Hollyn woke up with croup. I went in to give her a drink and the next thing I know she has strider and can't catch her breath. I rush her to the urgent care right by our house and they are closed so I have to take her to the ER. After about an hour in the ER and one nasty dose of medicine, we are on our way home and she is breathing normal again. By 11:45 we are back home and in bed, but Hollyn had a tough time going to sleep and kept coming in out bedroom. I thought she would sleep in but she was up at her normal time.
Since the weather outside was a frightful 20 degrees which is actually 2 degrees if you add the wind chill, we where stuck inside and decided to make some banana bread. While making banana bread I dropped a 5 lb bag of sugar on my finger which was on top of a measuring cup. Instantly my finger nail turned black and I felt the worst pain I have ever felt. This may seem strange but it was even more painful than having Paige. Thank goodness I still had a few pain meds left over from having Paige, so I popped in an 800 ml of IB prophen. (I don't think I spelled that right) That didn't even stop the pain so I decided I needed to go see the Doc to make sure my finger wasn't broken. To make a long story short my finger is fine, and the doctor just burned a hole in my nail to release the pressure the blood was causing.
We are all fine now and pain free. Hollyn is breathing and my finger is no longer throbbing.

7 comments:

Traci said...

I am so glad both of you are doing ok. Croup is always so scary to me. We are looking for to going out with you guys. Movie, walleyball. . .? Bring it on!

Megan said...

WOW! It always seems like doctor visits can't just come one at a time. I'm glad everything is ok. My boys ALWAYS get croup when they get colds, but I will never forget how scared I was the first time. It is horrible to listen to something that sounds like dying!

The Wilkins' said...

Oh my goodness, crazy! I shut my finger in my car door several months ago and it hurt SO bad! I woke up at 3am that night in THE WORST throbbing pain! I feel your pain! :) My fingernail ended up falling off, but luckily it grew back almost normal.

Anonymous said...

Oh my crap! All of those things are no fun, I hope Hollyn is doing better and I feel for you on the finger pain, when something goes wrong with your fingers you realize how much you really use them every second of the day.

Amy said...

Sheesh, sounds like a nightmare of a few hours. Glad you guys are okay. Hope Paige doesn't get sick too.

carlee said...

Sorry about the trauma! hopefully that has all past. COngrats on having another amazingly adorable Paige. She is so cute. Hope you are healing great and yippy for Christmas coming. Are you going to be in AZ?

Becky said...

Ouch! Sorry that happened, but glad you both are doing better!