Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Good, Better, Best

To start off many of you may be wondering what's going on with my new background. I decided to go with some colors that represent the weather we have been having. Hopefully we will be seeing some yellows soon. Some of you may know that for the past several years I have had church calling either in nursery or primary. Just last Sunday I received a new calling, one I have never had before, a Relief Society Teacher. Some of you may be groaning at this calling, but to tell you the truth I was excited. Don't get me wrong, I love primary and nursery, but I am excited for this new challenge. I have my first lesson on Sunday and I teach from conference talks and my lesson is from Elder Oaks talk "Good, Better, Best." I really loved the talked and have enjoyed preparing for my lesson. He talks about all the good things we do in life, but there are better and best things that we can be doing. For instance he talks about not just doing our Visiting Teaching every month, but actually spiritually uplifting those we visit teach enriching their lives. This got me thinking about the times in life we say "Things will be better when." It would be so easy for me to say things will be better when Dan's done with his first year of law school or when he's finished with law school. But to be honest, that just sets me up for things will be better when Dan is not working so many hours. So, I took a look at my life and realized that things are better now. I love that Dan has taken on the difficult task of law school. I love that he is following his dream and we are having a great adventure together as a family in a new place meeting new people. I am happy and grateful that I have an amazing husband and daughter who love me. I feel bad for these young celebrities who everyone thinks has the best lives, because they are famous and rich, but to be honest they are lonely and depressed. So here's to the New Year of not reaching for good or better, but always striving for the best!

8 comments:

Caryn said...

Congrats on the new calling, you will do great.

And the best part is not having to take anyone to the potty!!!

Becky said...

I've had this calling before and it was one of my favorite callings. You will be a great teacher!

Broadbent Family said...

You both are too nice. I really wasn't posting this to get praise, but it doesn't hurt. I just hope people participate.

Katie said...

What a great Post. We had that lesson last month and I really enjoyed it. I love that talk and I know you will do great. I think teaching is a great calling. Chad Teaches E.Q. and I think it's good for the person teaching too. You really study a subject and learn a lot. GOOD LUCK!

Elisha said...

Hey Geri, that's really neat! Congrats! I bet you are an amazing teacher! You've already got me thinking just with your post!

Rodela Family said...

Geri,
I am so jealous. I loved teaching in R.S. Now I teach Y.W. every week and it is back to teaching about chastity and why petting is not a good thing!

Megan said...

I wish I could be there. I loved our late-night chats about the Gospel. I loved learning from you then, and we were just kids!

Amy said...

Hey, great picks, Geri. I'm glad I got to see Hollyn in person. She's cute and I love her voice.