Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To pierce or not to pierce, that is the question?


So, on Saturday we got Paige's ear's pierced. I know that I am in the minority when it comes to piercing my girl's ears so young. I completely understand why people wait to get their daughter's ears pierced until they are eight or until they want them pierced. I also understand that many people say that I am taking my daughter's free agency away. Here is my reasoning for piercing their ears so young.
1. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 15 and it wasn't because my parents wouldn't let me. I was terrified to get them pierced. I was also terrified of them being ripped out when I was playing sports. (Yes, I was a big tom boy)
2. I wished my parents would have pierced them when I was a baby so that I wouldn't have had to go and be scared to get it done and then have to worry about applying the stuff on my ears three times a day and remembering to turn them.
3. Even though I was a tom boy I would have looked more feminine.
4. When I was bald for the first two years of my life I wouldn't have been called a boy so often.
So, there it is, my reasons for piercing the girls' ears. For those of you who think it's cruel to do this to an infant, I will just say that shots are so much worse than this. Especially the two month shots when they have to get four shots with two nurses on each leg doing two shots each. What we do as parents for health and beauty. Plus doesn't she look adorable!

9 comments:

Traci said...

Very cute! Glad to be freezing in Nebraska?!

Jon said...

I plan on tattooing our babies

By Divine Design said...

I love it! I think I'm just going to do it even though Cam doesn't want me to. What's he going to do when it's already done?

Amy said...

You've inspired me to pierce Dallin's nose!! JK. Paige is looking awfully cute and chubby these days. I love the double chin.

Courtney said...

This is Courtney Felix, found your blog from Becky's. I love the earring, so adorable! What was Dan's take on this?

Amy said...

Geri your girls are so beautiful- You guys are a picture perfect family.

Becky said...

I totally understan why you peirce now... I don't judge! Hee hee! I would have done our girls as babies but Stan is against it, so it's not such a big deal, and if your cute girls don't want to have peirced ears when they are older then they can just take them out! There, see you didn't take their agency away, you just exercised yours!

Becky said...

Don't worry, you know a great therapist when she grows up and has a complex because her parents pierced her ears before she could make her own decisions :-)

-Aaron

P.S. It's amazing how much she looks like you Geri.

The Wilkins' said...

I think it's adorable. I don't know if I would be brave enough to do a baby, but I definitely want to pierce Liberty's. Trever is anti, and said if I do it, then he's getting a dog. So looks like Liberty might have to wait until she's 8 to get her ears pierced!